Knowing what includes sugar free food list is important not only for diabetics and other people with glycemic index problems, but also for those that are tend to overdo sugars. No sugar foods are a part of different types of special diet plans and recipes.
There are two very discussed categories sugars – refined sugar and carbohydrates.
Refined sugars are rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, causing blood sugar and insulin levels problems. Carbohydrates are the foods with highest glycemic index. But you have to know that carbs aren’t all bad. Carbohydrates are found in many healthy and unhealthy foods—bread, milk, cookies, spaghetti, soft drinks, and more. They have many forms. The most common forms are sugars, fibers, and starches.
Sugar free foods list applies to foods that have no carbohydrates at all. There are a huge range of naturally sugar free foods such as meat. Also, on the market there are a wide range of labeled “sugar free” foods. Always check the label to see the total amount of carbohydrates. Commonly, if the label shows low carbs the food is low in sugar, but not always the other way around.
Sugar free foods list
- Lean meat – chicken, poultry, including beef and pork. Choose poultry without the skin for less saturated fat and cholesterol. Meats .
- Fish and shellfish.
- Low-fat milk and other dairy products (low fat sour yogurt, cheese, etc, with no added sugar).
- Nuts and nut butters like almond butter, cashew butter, or peanut butter (with no added sugar).
- Plant-based proteins: beans, lentils, peas, hummus, tempeh, tofu, nuts.
You have to know that meats do not contain carbohydrate. They are sugar free foods. Most plant-based protein foods contain carbohydrate. The major part of them are low sugar foods. Read nutrition labels to find out what is the content of the carbs. If you have diabetes, reading labels is essential for you. Mayo Clinic provide a great guide: Reading food labels: Tips if you have diabetes.
- Whole grains, such as brown rice.
- Whole-grain bread and pasta and other products made with 100% whole grain flour.
- Whole grain flour.
- Artificial sweeteners like Sweet’N Low and NutraSweet are allowed.
Fruits and vegetables:
- Fruits are vegetables are loaded with vitamins, minerals and fiber. There is a wide choice of low carb fruits and vegetables. American Diabetes Association has a great lists of low carb fruits and non-starchy vegetables.
Attention: Before following any diet, always consult your doctor!