Selenium is an essential mineral for the human body. It prevents the oxidative stress, assists the function of the thyroid gland, and prevents the development of cancer cells . So it is important to consume selenium foods.
Selenium benefits make it a powerful antioxidant that strengthens the body’s immune system, neutralize free radicals, prevents heavy metal poisoning, helps to prevent acne, asthma, male infertility, multiple sclerosis.
Which are selenium foods?
A list of high selenium foods. Selenium benefits and deficiency.
- Nuts. Brazil nuts are one of the best natural sources of selenium. It contains 1500 mg in 100 grams. Only two nuts cover your daily need of selenium.
- Shellfish (oysters, mussels, snails) are also high selenium foods. Oysters and mussels, except selenium, are a great source of iron, zinc, copper and vitamin B12.
- Liver. The liver of almost every animal is full of nutrients. Lamb liver provides is one of the best natural sources of selenium.
- Fish. Fish is a healthy food for the heart, good source of protein and rich in vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6 and B12. Selenium rich foods are conserved tuna, tinned anchovies, swordfish, marinated herring.
- Sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds are great as a snack or added to salads, they are also a great source of vitamin E, iron, vitamin B1, B6, protein, magnesium, potassium and copper.
- Bananas. One of the most popular fruit – bananas are also a good natural source of selenium.
- Other selenium foods are cereals, caviar, lobsters, crabs, shrimps
Selenium benefits are essential for DNA, hormones of the thyroid gland, prevention of cancer and reduction of riskof cardiovascular diseases and diseases of the eye. One of the best selenium benefits is that it helps the body to
neutralize free radicals.
Selenium deficiency leads to dizziness, hair loss, nausea, nail disorders, lesions of the gastrointestinal tract and
liver, and anemia. Selenium deficiency in the body reduces the immune defense too. Without selenium iodine can not be absorbed fully by the thyroid gland.
Attention: Before using any diet, consult your doctor.