Omega 6 fatty acids are essential fatty acids. They are necessary for human health. Together with omega-3 fatty acids, omega-6 fatty acids play a crucial role in brain function, and normal growth. A healthy diet contains a balance of omega 6 foods and omega-3 foods. Omega 6 fatty acids are also known as polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), they contribute to the growth of the hair, the look of the skin, maintain bone health, regulate metabolism and maintain the reproductive system.
Omega 6 fatty acids are a group of eight polyunsaturated fatty acids. Most important for human nutrition are four ofthem: gamma-linolenic acid /GLA/, linoleic (linoleic) acid /LA/, arachidonic acid /ARA/and dihomo-gamma-linolenic acid /DGLA/.
Which are high Omega 6 foods:
A list of high Omega 6 foods:
Some of the best sources of Omega 6 fatty acids are:
- Vegetable Oils – corn oil, soybean oil, grape seed oil and sunflower oil are great omega 6 foods
- Fish and seafood – trout, salmon, catfish, perch, shrimp
- Nuts – brazil nuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts are great omega 6 foods too
- Meat and meat products – pork products /sausage, bacon, ground pork/, chicken,
- Salad dressing, mayonnaise
For general health, there must be a balance between omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids.
Omega 6 fatty acids benefits
Some of the main Omega 6 fatty acids benefits and functions are:
- Needed for growth and repair of body tissues and cells
- Necessary for good health of all cells and cell membranes in the body. Omega 6 fatty acids help the skin is healthy, soft and smooth.
- Support the immune system. One of the most important Omega 6 fatty acids benefits. Prevent infection of the lining of the mouth, nose, throat and lungs, digestive system and urinary tract.
- As an antioxidant, Omega 6 fatty acids protect the body from free radical attack.
- Other Omega 6 fatty acids benefits are: they are necessary for the conversion of fat reserves into energy; Omega 6 fatty acids are needed for the production of sex hormones and adrenal hormones.
Attention: Before using any diet, consult your doctor.