Natural antibiotics help us to keep good bacteria and get rid of harmful bacteria. In the colder months usually we get sick more often. And although you should never ignore the advice of doctors, we can include in our daily diet some foods with antibiotic properties. They will boost our immune system and will help us to defend ourselves against certain infectious bacteria.
Which are natural antibiotic foods?
A list of foods – natural antibiotics
- Garlic and onions are foods that boost immune system. Garlic and onions are close relatives and have natural antibiotic properties. Sulfur in onions and garlic is the key element that allows you to use these foods as antibiotics. Both vegetables are used as an aid in colds and flu. Garlic has antifungal properties that help to prevent fungal infections and viral diseases. Onions are rich in phytonutrients that purify the body from free radicals.
- Cabbage. Member of the cruciferous family, along with broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts, these vegetables are natural antibiotics and have many healing properties. One reason for this is sulfur, which has an anti-cancer effect.
- Fermented foods. Today more and more doctors recommend to take probiotics with antibiotics – to restore beneficial bacteria. Sauerkraut, pickles and pickles are great probiotic foods that will help us to restore beneficial bacteria in our intestines.
- Cinnamon is one of the greatest natural antibiotics. Used in medicine for thousands of years. True Ceylon cinnamon helps against E.coli. Scientists from the University of Kansas found that cinnamon is food rich in antioxidants and successfully treated colds and flu.
- Thyme – and leaves of thyme and oil of thyme are anti inflammatory foods. They contain thymol compound which has antimicrobial and antifungal properties.
- Honey is one of the foods that boost immune system too. Honey contains protein defensin-1, which is added in the production process by bees. This protein boost immune system and prevents diseases.
- Fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C are considered as foods that boost immune system too.
- Other anti inflammatory and immune boosting foods are oregano oil, rosemary, coriander, turmeric, ginger, echinacea, extract of grapefruit seed, basil, coriander. They are great natural antibiotics too.
These foods not only taste great but are also an important part of a healthy diet and a healthy lifestyle.