Mediterranean diet is a healthy eating plan based on Mediterranean-style cooking and typical foods. Some of the main mediterranean diet benefits are: reducе the risk of heart disease and cancer, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, reducе the risk of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases and have weight-lost benefits. Among mediterranean diet food list are mostly plant-based foods, including fruits and vegetables, fish and whole grains, beans, nuts, and seeds.
Mediterranean diet is a lifestyle, not a single decision. Its main advantage is that it does not strictly limit foods and its main ideology is to enjoy food and life! Some people use mediterranean diet as healthy heart diet.
What is included in mediterranean diet food list?
Mediterranean diet food list for healthy eating
- Fruits and vegetables. Mediterranean cuisine suggests the consumption of lots of fruits and vegetables to provide the body with the necessary vitamins and minerals. Include veggies and fruits in every meal or eat them as snacks. The range is huge: artichokes, broccoli, eggplant, celery, peas, peppers, lettuce, mushrooms, celery, tomatoes, carrots, cherries, peaches, strawberries, grapefruit, melons, apples…
- Grains (including pasta). They are rich in complex carbohydrates and are low in fats. Cereals contain a good amount of fiber. Oats, rice, couscous are a few examples.
- Fish is among healthy heart diet plan. Mediterranean countries rarely consume red meat. Instead, several times a week they eat fish which contains much less saturated fats and is an omega-3 fatty acids food. Omega-3 fatty acids protect the body from heart disease and play an important role in strengthening the brain tissues. Omega-3 have a positive effect on chronic inflammatory diseases, and also help with diabetes and certain cancers. Salmon, tuna, trout, mackerel and herring are healthy choices. But avoid fried fish. Instead eat grill, bake or broil fish.
- Nuts and seeds are an important part of the mediterranean diet food list. They are great sources of healthy fats, fiber and protein. Some of the best examples are almonds, walnuts, cashews.
- Beverages. Traditional Mediterranean menu is associated with wine. A glass of wine a day can help to normalize cholesterol levels in the blood and strengthens the arteries, reducing the risk of developing cardiovascular disease. Wine also fight viral infections. A glass of red wine per day is permitted.
- Oils. Olive oil is widely used. It contains monounsaturated fats which lower the amount of cholesterol in the blood and increase the body’s defenses.
- Low-fat dairy is also in mediterranean diet food list. Higher fat dairy products are limited.
- Legumes. One of the main ingredient of Mediterranean salads and soups are legumes. They are among high protein low fat foods with a lot of fiber.