Is rice flour gluten free? This can be a little bit tricky question. Plain rice flour in not only gluten free, but it is one of the most popular gluten free alternatives to wheat flour. All plain rice flour types (brown rice flour, white, wild rice flour and etc.) are gluten free and are widely used in many recipes and healthy diets. But rice flour is often produced in facility that also produce other flours containing gluten. In these cases, there is possibility for cross-contamination. Certified gluten free rice flour brands are a proper option to avoid cross-contamination.
Is rice flour gluten free? Certified gluten free rice flour brands.
In our previous post “Is rice gluten free?” is explained in details what are the risks for cross contamination for rice. When it comes to rice flour, this risk is even more higher. It is a practice for a wide range of food manufacturers to produce non gluten free and gluten free products in the same facility. So they can’t declare that their flours are gluten free on the labels.
Nowadays, the market offers a great range of certified gluten free rice flour brands. This means that rice flour is produced in a facility that do not produce any foods that contain gluten. These manufacturers follows strict rules that do not allow cross-contamination. In this case the answer of the question “Is rice flour gluten free?” is obvious YES. If you have gluten related disease or condition such as celiac disease, gluten sensitivity or wheat allergy, the best option is to search for certified gluten free rice flours.
Some of the most popular certified rice flour brands are:
- Bob’s Red Mill – offers a wide range of certified gluten free and organic rice flour – brown rice , white rice, sweet rice flour and more gluten free flours.
- Doves Farm is a large producer of gluten free rice flour too.
- Anthony’s Goods – most of their products are Certified Organic, Non-GMO, and Certified Gluten-Free.
- Arrowhead Mills is one of America’s most trusted organic baking brands. They also have a great range of gluten free flours, including rice flour.
- Ener-G Foods is a large producer of foods for diet-restrictive individuals. They also offer gluten free rice mix, pure rice flour and sweet rice flour.
- Farabella is a popular Italian company that offer a great range of certified gluten free products, including rice flour.
The question “Is rice flour gluten free? ” is important for people with gluten related disorders such as celiac disease, gluten sensitivity or wheat allergy. The best way to be sure that there is no cross-contamination is to search for certified gluten free flour brands and products. Fortunately, the market offers a really huge range of gluten free substitutes to wheat products.