Histamine is a chemical substance that is contained in cells of the human body. Histamine is a substance that is found in almost every living creature: human, animal, plant and bacteria. It plays an important role in allergic reactions and in this connection it is known to many people. Furthermore, histamine manage production of stomach acids and activity of the stomach, histamine also has a stimulating effect on the cardiovascular system.
Histamine also is a natural component of many foods. It accumulates primarily in the maturation and aging of protein-rich products. For people with histamine intolerance, it is important to know which are high histamine foods. When we consume foods with histamine, usually enzyme DiAminoOksidaza (abbr. DAO) breaks down it. In individuals with histamine intolerance this enzyme is not present in sufficient quantity in the small intestine or is inactive.
Which are high histamine foods?
High histamine foods list. Histamine intolerance.
The consumption of high histamine foods is the most common cause of symptoms and health problems associated with histamine intolerance.
Foods rich in histamine are:
- Alcoholic drinks, especially red wine and champagne
- Mature cheese (cheese, Emmental, blue cheese, etc.) are high histamine foods
- Raw or smoked meat products– different sausages, ham, bacon, and more
- Seafood, fish, canned fish, fish sauces or fish products are high histamine foods too
- Some vegetables eg. tomatoes, spinach, eggplant, avocado, mushrooms, peas and others
- Some fruit – bananas, strawberries, pineapple, tangerines, plums, kiwi, grapefruit, and more…
- Yeast and yeast pastries are high histamine foods too
- All fermented vegetables such as sauerkraut and pickles, canned fruits and vegetables
- Fermented soy products (soy sauce)
The consumption of high histamine foods can cause a wide variety of reactions in people who have histamine intolerance. It is possible to experience various symptoms depending on the quantity of the histamine. Histamine intolerance symptoms may be different in different people.
Some of the most common histamine intolerance symptoms are:
- Complaints in the stomach and intestines, such as diarrhea, abdominal pain and gas.
- Headaches, migraines, breathing problems
- Low blood pressure, heart rhythm problems
- It is possible to occur skin problems as flushing, urticaria, pruritus
Seek medical attention if you experience some of the symptoms above. Do not self-diagnose!
Attention: Before you follow any histamine intolerance diet, consult your doctor!