Fructose, also known as fruit sugar, is a natural monosaccharide, which is contained in various fruits, some vegetables and honey. High fructose foods and fruits are important for people with fructose malabsorption. Fructose malabsorption is a condition of people who cannot completely absorb fructose in their small intestine. The undigested fructose is then carried to the colon. The consequences are bloating, gas, cramping, diarrhea. The reason for fructose malabsorption is the lack of enzymes in the intestine that are responsible for the processing of fructose. Sometimes fructose intolerance can occur in people with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Fructose is also a basic component in table sugar (sucrose), and high-fructose corn syrup. Except certain high fructose fruits, the market offers a lot of high fructose foods too. Fructose is widely used in the food industry for juices, marmalades and jams, biscuits and cakes, soft drinks and many more products that may or may not think. Fructose is sweeter and less caloric than ordinary sugar. Therefore it is used in smaller quantities. This is one of the reasons, why the fructose is so widely used for the production of prepared foods.
Which are high fructose foods and fruits?
A list of high fructose foods and fruits
Many fruits and foods high in fructose are healthy and nutritious. So do not follow any fructose malabsorption diet, without consulting your doctor. Here is a list of some foods high in fructose:
- High fructose fruits: most dried fruits, including currant, dates, dried fruit, fig, raisin, berries in larger quantitites, grape, tinned dark plum, apple, pear, quince, cherry, fig, pineapple, mango, litchi
- Fruit juice
- High-fructose vegetables: tomato concentrate, tpersimmon, pickled onion. Vegetables have far lower levels of fructose than fruits.
- Food and drinks with content of very high sucrose (table sugar) and with high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).
- Wheat- based products: pasta, bread, whole-grain breakfast cereals
- Sorbitol (E420 is sorbitol) and xylitol (E967 is xylitol) containing foods
- Desserts (ice cream,candy, cookies, bars) sweetened with fructose
- Other high fructose foods can be cereal or other processed foods with fructose on the label
High fructose foods can be also and foods containing labels with: fructose, high-fructose corn syrup, agave syrup, maple-flavored syrup, invert sugar, sorghum, palm or coconut sugar
Attention: Before following any fructose malabsorption diet, consult your doctor.