What are the foods that cause diarrhea ? What foods to avoid with diarrhea? These are a complicated questions and there is no a simple answer. Diarrhea can be caused by many digestive diseases and disorders such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Crohn’s disease or Ulcerative colitis), food intolerance (fructose and lactose intolerance), viruses, bacteria and more.
Though foods that cause diarrhea can vary from person to person, certain food and drinks are known to trigger digestive problems. Here, will see a list of some of the most popular foods to avoid with diarrhea. The diet is one of the most important factors that may help in the diarrhea treatment. Attention: If you have diarrhea, consult your doctor to find out the main reason! Before following any diets, consult your doctor!
A list of some of the most common foods that cause diarrhea
- Very spicy foods – spicy foods like chili peppers, hot sauce, cayenne pepper can irritate the digestive system and can cause diarrhea, gas, bloating, especially if you’re not used to them. Very spicy foods are some of the main foods that cause indigestion.
- Alcohol. Drinking too much alcohol can cause digestive system problems especially in people with IBS. Diarrhea can be a major result from a severe hangover.
- Caffeine. Large doses of caffeine stimulates the secretion of gastric juices and can cause diarrhea. Even in healthy people, caffeine stimulate bowel movements. That is why products that contain caffeine are among the most common foods that cause diarrhea.
- Fats are also among the foods to avoid with diarrhea. Too much fats can also be digestive system triggers. Fats affect gut motility, and excess fats can cause digestive problems such as gas and bloating and can lead to steatorrhea. This condition is characterized by smelling stools that float.
- Dairy. Dairy products are rich in fat, casein and lactose. For people with lactose intolerance dairy products are main foods that cause diarrhea. Lactose intolerance is associated with a common enzyme defect that violates the breakdown of lactose into glucose and galactose. There are many lactose free dairy products available on the market that can be consumed by people with lactose intolerance.
- Artificial sweeteners such sorbitol and mannitol are in the list of foods to avoid with diarrhea too. Consuming too much products rich in artificial sweeteners can cause abdominal pain, gas, bloating, and stomach pains. Artificial sweeteners are widely used in the production of many desserts and bakery products.
- Foods high in fiber (some vegetables, fruits or whole grains) also can be diarrhea triggers. If you have digestive problems related to diarrhea, eating too much fiber may cause you gas and bloating. Fruits high in fiber are also in the list of foods that cause gas.
- Other common foods that cause diarrhea are: Fried Foods; Beans (sometime they lead to gas and cramping ); Cabbage and Its Cousins (cause digestive distress).
- Aside from the food, the diarrhea can be caused by bacterial and viral infections; medications, chronic conditions, Inflammatory bowel diseases, Traveler’s Diarrhea and more.
Coping with diarrhea is very important because diarrhea can lead to dehydration.
Attention: Before following any diets, consult your doctor!