Tyramine is a substance which is formed naturally in some foods. It is known that foods that have been stored longer contains more tyramine. For some people, foods high in tyramine are among the foods that cause migraines. Migraine is characterized by attacks of severe headache, usually on one side of the head, which are accompanied by nausea and sometimes vomiting. The causes of migraines are different: indigestion, poor nutrition, various liver diseases, mental fatigue, tyramine rich foods.
Which are foods high in tyramine and foods that cause migraines?
A list of foods high in tyramine
- Aged cheeses. The content of tyramine in cheese depends on the technology used in production, fermentation, maturation, durability and even the content of microorganisms. Cheeses with high tyramine content are blue cheese, Brie, Cheddar, Feta, Stilton, Mozzarella, Parmesan, etc.
- Cured meats, sausages, meat and meat products with high durability are foods high in tyramine too.
- Smoked fish
- Canned soups, pickles are also among the foods that cause migraines
- Some types of beer
Other foods that cause migraines
Furthermore, foods rich in tyramine, there are other foods that cause migraines. Some of them are:
- Alcohol consumption leads to blood flow to the brain. Some experts believe, that one of the main causes of migraines is that some alcoholic beverages are not clean. Many alcoholic beverages contain harmful impurities and alcohol decomposition in the body form toxic products. Red wine, beer, whiskey and champagne are drinks that most often lead to headaches.
- Preservatives or colors that are added to foods also trigger migraines and headaches . Nitrates tend to dilate blood vessels. Some food products containing preservatives are sausages, ham, bacon, sausages, smoked meat and more.
- Cold foods can cause unpleasant sensations in consumption after physical exercises. In this case, the pain felt at the top, extends from several seconds to two minutes.
- Monosodium glutamate (MSG, mono sodium glutamate). MSG is a food additive that is contained in soybean food – sausages, meat, minced meat and packaged products.
- Chocolate is also among the foods that cause migraines. Chocolate contains phenylethylamine, which is one of the most common causes of migraines. Phenylethylamine leads to contraction and expansion of blood vessels. Migraine is due to the consistent expansion and contraction of the arteries.
Attention: Before following any diet, consult your doctor.