Foods high in potassium
Potassium is an essential mineral that is found in all human body cells.
It is necessary for the proper functioning of the heart, kidneys, nervous system, muscles and other organs.
Potassium plays a pivotal role in the regulation of fluid and electrolyte balance in the body.
The low potassium levels are associated with fatigue, irritability, increased risk of hypertension, stroke, cardiovascular diseases, gastrointestinal disorders, and more. That’s why it is very important to take enough foods high in potassium. Daily potassium needs for adult are 3000 to 4700 mg.
Foods high in potassium are:
- Potatoes are foods high in potassium.Potatoes are the main source of potassium. One potato contains 694 mg of potassium, which is about 15% of the daily recommended amount and only 131 calories. Potatoes are rich in beta-carotene, fiber, vitamin C, complex carbohydrates.
- Tomato paste.Fresh tomatoes are great, but the tomato paste is a good source of potassium. Half a cup of tomato paste contains 549 mg of potassium.
- Bananas are foods high in potassium too.Everyone thinks first of bananas when thinking about foods rich in potassium. One banana contains 594 mg of potassium. Furthermore, bananas are rich in fiber, which help good digestion.
- Apricots are foods high in potassium too.Apricots are rich in potassium and are very useful in cardiovascular diseases.
- Legumes are foods high in potassium too.Legumes – beans, lentils, peas are a very good source of potassium. They are very rich in fiber and is good to include them more often in your diet.
- Carrots. Carrot juice is a good source of potassium. Furthermore, carrots are good for eyesight.
- Fish.Fish that are high in potassium are salmon, mackerel, herring.
- Spinach.One cup of raw spinach contains 167 mg of potassium, while a cup of cooked spinach contains 800 mg.
- Pumpkins are foods high in potassium.Pumpkin has fewer calories and is extremely rich in fiber and vitamin A. It is a good source of potassium, with its 448 mg per half cup.