Potassium and magnesium are very valuable minerals for the entire human organism. To maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle, it is important to know which are foods high in potassium and magnesium.
Potassium is a vital nutrient that maintain levels of body fluid and electrolyte balance. It helps for proper functioning of the kidneys, muscles, and bones. Potassium is also involved in the regulation of blood volume and blood pressure.
Magnesium is very important mineral for the human body. Its main function is to take care of the balance of the nervous and muscular systems. It helps in the distribution of signals of the nerve cells. Magnesium takes part in the production of proteins, in the regulation of heart rate, and in the operation of the gastrointestinal tract.
Which are foods high in potassium and magnesium?
A list of foods high in potassium and magnesium
There are many foods rich in both potassium and magnesium. Some of them are:
- Vegetables and fruits can be a great sources of potassium and magnesium. Examples are green leafy vegetables, especially spinach, kale, potatoes, kiwi, papaya, citrus fruits, asparagus, bananas.
- Beans such as kidney beans lentils, soy and black-eyed peas are great foods high in potassium and magnesium. They are calcium rich foods too.
- Nuts such as walnuts, almonds, cashews and peanuts. They have many other important nutrients as protein, antioxidants, vitamins, and omega-3 fatty acids
- Grains and Cereals: brown rice and oatmeal are good sorces of magnesium and potassium too.
- Fish have high values of the both elements, preferably a fatty fish, where there are also other important nutrients.
- Spices are foods high in potassium and magnesium too. Besides being a great way to add flavor to a dish, the spices are very good for health. Some of the highest in potassium and magnesium are parsley and basil.
Calcium is also a very important nutrient which, together with potassium and magnesium helps to control blood pressure. Calcium is very important for healthy bones and teeth and production of important enzymes in the body associated with digestion and metabolism. There are many calcium rich foods. Some of the foods highest in calcium are cheese, sprat, sardines, mackerel, dark green leafy vegetables – spinach, nettle, dock, etc., cereals, legumes.