Phosphorus is one of the main nutrients. It is necessary for the proper functioning of the cells, for the regulation of calcium, for healthy bones and teeth. Phosphorus ia also needed for the production of the basic energy source of all cells in the body – adenosine triphosphate molecules (ATP). There are many foods high in phosphorus. This mineral is found in nearly every food and therefore phosphorus deficiency is rare. Phosphorus is present in every cell of the human body.
Which are foods high in phosphorus?
A list of foods high in phosphorus
- Rice and oat bran. Bran ia a fiber-rich food that is often addition to whole grain cereals and bread.
- Pumpkin and watermelon seeds. Seeds of pumpkin and watermelon can be used as a great little snack or in addition to baked foods and pastries.
- Sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds are a good source of foods high in magnesium and vitamin E too.
- Cheese. Besides phosphorus cheese are foods high in calcium too. Highest phosphorus cheese is Parmesan.
- Fish, especially salmon
- Sesame seeds and tahini (sesame butter). Sesame seeds are foods high in phosphorus and calcium.
- Brazil nuts and pine nuts. A lot of nuts are an excellent source of phosphorus, but in brazil nuts and pine nuts it is in great quantities.
- Soy foods, tofu
- Roasted soybeans. Roasted soy beans are a rich source of protein for vegetarians or vegans.
- Bacon, pork mostly lean fillet
- Products of the legume family
- Other foods foods high in phosphorus are peanut butter, broccoli, sardines, garlic, cashew nuts, halva, pistachio
Phosphorus deficiency can lead to decreased appetite, anemia, muscle aches, poor bone formation (rickets), numbness and a weakened immune system. This trace element is found in nearly every food and therefore Phosphorus deficiency is a rare condition. Consuming too much phosphorus, however, is extremely harmful to the body, as it leads to leaching of calcium from the bones.