Foods high in iron
Iron is one of the essential minerals that carries oxygen to all parts of the body. A deficiency can lead to fatigue, weakness and anemia. On the other hand, clogging of the organism with iron, increases the production of harmful free radicals and prevents the metabolism, which leads to damage of organs such as heart and liver.
The human body is able to regulate the absorption of iron, so that the whole overdose cases are rare and usually occurs with prolonged supplementation.
Provision of iron from natural sources is considered to be safe and healthy. The daily dose needed for a healthy adult is about 18 milligrams.
Some of the foods high in iron are listed here:
- The liver is one of the foods high in iron and vitamins. In the early 20th century was prescribed for anemia and recommended as a supplement for pregnant women. Duck liver, with its 30.5 mg per 100 g, delivers the most iron, followed by pork, chicken and turkey.
- Shellfish ans mussels are foods high in iron too. Shellfish can be eaten raw, baked, steamed, fried or soup. Mussels provide the most iron – 28 mg per serving of 100 grams and oysters – 12 mg.
Attention: buy and eat mussels only from authorized locations. Poorly cleaned or cooked, can cause serious stomach problems.
- Roasted pumpkin and pumpkin seeds are also foods high in iron. Pumpkin and its seeds are an ideal source of iron, about 15 mg per serving of 100 grams. Pumpkin seeds can be eaten raw or roasted. Used for cooking sweet and savory dishes. Very delicious roasted, mixed with soy sauce and served as a salad dressing. Also rich in proteins, zinc and phosphorus.
- Sesame oil, also known as tahini is a common ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine. Rich is also vitamins E and C, calcium, dietary fiber and powerful natural antioxidants. Helps to reduce the level of cholesterol in the body. Toasted sesame seeds provide 14.8 mg per 100 g, and sesame oil – 8.95 mg per 100 grams.
- Dried tomatoes are foods high in iron. Tomatoes contain 17 times more iron than milk, more than twice the eggs three times more than the fish. Furthermore, tasty, and sandwiches and salads, and pasta sauces.
- Sunflower seeds are foods high in iron and contains a sufficient quantity of iron, and also they are source of vitamin E, and thiamine, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium.
- Cocoa powder and chocolate. Pure cocoa powder provides most iron, without added milk, fat and sugar – 36 mg per serving of 100 grams.