Folic acid, also called vitamin B9, is essential for the health. It regulates blood pressure, thereby reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease. It is known that foods high in folic acid are very important for pregnant women. Vitamin B9 helps cells to multiply. It is necessary for the formation of the placenta, as well as the construction of the bone marrow of the embryo.
There are many reasons why it is important to include in your diet folic acid foods, and perhaps one of the most important folic acid benefits is that it helps the growth and regeneration of cells.
Which are foods high in folic acid?
A list of foods high in folic acid. Folic acid benefits.
- Lentils is one of the best sources of folic acid. It is rich in pure nutrients needed by pregnant. Contains important iron and fiber. Eat it in the form of soup, stew or as a supplement to the salad.
- Leafy vegetables are rich in vitamins and will help you maintain a healthy weight during pregnancy. Special attention should be drawn to the spinach, which has a very high content of folic acid. Other useful and delicious leafy vegetables are cabbage, kale, broccoli. It is no surprise that some of the healthiest vegetables are the most rich in folic acid foods.
- Citrus fruits like orange, mandarin, grapefruit, lemon are great foods rich in folic acid. Many fruits are rich in folic acid but Citrus have the highest content. Other folate rich fruits are papaya, grapefruit, grapes, bananas, melons and strawberries.
- Avocado is a great folic acid food. Avocados are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for a healthy heart.
- Beans are healthy foods too and a portion of it provides a good amount of folic acid.
- Other foods high in folic acid are okra, brussels sprout, seeds and nuts, cauliflower, corn, carrots, celery
Some of the most important folic acid benefits are:
- Reduces the risk of injuries to the baby by helping the proper development of the spine, brain, DNA formation and healthy development of the cells.
- Tones and reduces the level of stress hormones
- Protects the body from intestinal infections
- Helps the growth and regeneration of cells. This is one of the most important folic acid benefits.
- May help protect against heart disease and some cancers
Fortunately there are plenty of foods rich in folic acid.