Choline /vitamin B4/ is also called “brain food”. It helps in sending brain signals that stimulates the memory. Foods high in choline are important, because choline is essential for good memory, normal mental development, normal muscle contractions, cardiovascular health and reducing inflammation. Yet research on the link between choline and mental health are not enough. But it has been found that it slows down the progression of Alzheimer’s disease, relieving the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease, preventing anxiety and anxiety, and improves the condition of most nerve disorders.
Which are foods high in choline?
A list of foods high in choline
- Eggs. One medium sized egg /44 g./ contains 110 mg. choline, 90% of which is contained in the yolk.
- Black and red caviar. Fish eggs are foods high in cholesterol, but they are foods high in choline too.
- Liver. Calf liver is the highest choline food than other livers.
- Meat. Beef and lamb contain the most choline.
- Soybeans are choline foods too. Soy flour has a high concentration of choline. Soybeans are foods high in magnesium too.
- Fish. All types of dried or smoked fish are foods rich in choline. Most of the vitamin can be found in the dried and salted cod, anchovies, cod, mackerel or sardines. In raw salmon, mackerel, carp, cod, redfish, mullet, others species, the amount of vitamin B4 is less.
- Lentils, peas and chickpeas
- Dried parsley and coriander are also foods high in choline
- Linseed and pistachio
- Other choline foods are peanuts, potatoes, cauliflower, tomatoes, bananas, oranges, lentils, corn.
Choline is very good for health because it is involved in fat and cholesterol metabolism by regulating these substances in the tissues.
Foods high in choline are essential for liver too. Choline deficiency can lead to fatty infiltration of the liver, necrosis of liver tissue, development of cirrhosis. Choline is widely used for the prophylaxis and treatment of liver diseases.
Attention: Before using any diet, consult your doctor.