Foods high in antioxidants
Foods high in antioxidants are essential for our human body. These foods not only improve our health but also increase our life span. Foods high in antioxidants are the healthiest and most nutritious foods. Antioxidant is the name given to a group of substances that protect human cells from damage usually caused by free radicals.
Free radicals can significantly harm our immune system. Factors such as smoking, radiation, pollution and pesticides contribute to the formation of free radicals. Including in your daily diet foods rich in antioxidants, leads to less risk of developing various diseases, including cancer. The best known antioxidants are the vitamins A, C and E, manganese, zinc and selenium.
There are various foods high in antioxidants. Some of the most popular are:
- Carrots, broccoli, sweet potatoes, peaches, tomatoes and fruit juices are rich in vitamin A.
- Citrus fruits, such as lemons and oranges, green vegetables with leaves, and tomatoes are a great source of vitamin C.
- Green vegetables like kale and spinach are good sources of the antioxidant lutein.
- Fruits like plums, apples, mango, pineapple, pink grapefruit and prunes also contain high levels of antioxidants.
- Forest fruits including strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, cherry and blueberries have high antioxidant content (anthocyanins).
- Broccoli and other vegetables such as cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels sprouts are also foods high in antioxidants (indoles).
- Nuts (walnuts, peanuts, hazelnuts), sunflower seeds, oil of cod liver oil, sunflower oil and green leafy vegetables have high levels of vitamin E.
- Dried fruits such as apricots, dates and prunes are foods high in antioxidants /beta carotene content/.
- Legumes such as pinto beans, soybeans and other beans are foods rich in Genistein (a powerful antioxidant).
- Tea – a beverage we drink every morning, is high in antioxidants known as flavonoids.
- Fish, chicken, cereals and red meat are foods high in antioxidants – selenium and zinc.
- Recent studies have shown that red wine also delivers a good amount of antioxidants.