Depression, anxiety and bad mood decreased ability to work, sleep, eating and getting pleasure from everyday activities. We all go through periods of depression.
One of the natural ways to deal with depression is to eat healthy diet. There are foods that help with depression. Foods that fight depression and anxiety, have nothing to do with those to whom we reach first. Many people overdo with coffee, sweet products and alcohol when they are depressed. However, this only increases the existing problem. Appropriate foods that help with anxiety could be a good therapy for depression.
Which are foods that help with depression?
A list of foods that help with depression and anxiety
- Foods high in amino acids. Amino acids help the body to produce neurotransmitters that affect mood. Foods rich in amino acids are turkey meat, chicken, fish, beans, almonds, avocado, cheese, pumpkin
- Foods high in antioxidants. These foods are a vital part of a healthy diet. Antioxidants fight free radicals that have a detrimental effect on the brain and can damage it. Include in your diet sources of beta-carotene, vitamin C and vitamin E. These sources are apricots, broccoli, carrots, pumpkin, oranges, peppers, potatoes, strawberries, nuts and seeds, vegetable oils.
- Omega-3 fatty acids foods are also in the list of foods that help with depression. These foods are essential for brain function. Good sources are flaxseed, fish, walnuts, sardines and salmon.
- Vitamins B6 and B 12 also helps fight depression and anxiety. They play an important role in the conversion of amino acids into neurotransmitters. Sources of vitamin B6 and B12 are tuna, beef, chick peas, prunes, eggs, chicken, crab, mussels and oysters.
- Folic acid is an important nutrient, especially for women of childbearing age. According to some studies, people who suffer from depression, often have low levels of folic acid. Foods high in folate acid are lentils, cabbage, turnips, asparagus, pinto and black beans, spinach and chickpeas.
- Foods high in zinc are also in the list of foods that help with anxiety. The human brain requires zinc for the production of gamma-amino butyric acid, which alleviates anxiety and irritability.
- Foods rich in magnesium also help with anxiety and insomnia. Get your magnesium through oat bran, spinach, barley, beans, artichokes and pumpkin seeds.
Besides foods that help with depression do not forget physical activity. It is also one of the best ways to combat anxiety and stress.
Attention: Before following any diet, consult your doctor.