Chia seeds are a very nutritious – contain omega-3 fatty acids, protein, fiber, antioxidants, calcium. “Chia” means strength and nowadays, chia seeds are better known as superfood that provides energy. It is an Aztecs food and comes from a desert plant – Salvia Hispanica/rise in Mexico and Guatemala/.
Chia health benefits:
- More Fibre. One of the most popular chia seeds benefits. Chia contains 11 grams of fiber in one ounce /2 tablespoons/. This supports your digestive health, because provides you with a good amounts of fibre.
- Antioxidants. One of the greatest chia seeds benefits. Chia has a high amount of antioxidants, that fight free radicals. That helps prevent some types of cell damage and slows aging.
- High in calcium. It means Chia helps for Stronger Teeth And Bones.
- Good source of protein. Chia has 4 grams of protein in one ounce which is about 10 percent of the recommended daily value. Chia is used as an egg substitute by the vegetarians.
- Rich in Omega-3. One of the greatest chia seeds benefits. Omega-3 fatty acids support heart, brain and skin.
- High in Phosphorus – 27% of the RDA which also helps healthy bones and teeth
- A great source of several important nutrients – According to the USDA, one ounce of chia seeds contains 5 milligrams of sodium, 4 grams of protein, 9 grams of fat, 11 grams of dietary fiber, 27% phosphorus, 30% manganese, 18% of the recommended daily intake of calcium. That’s why Chia means ‘strength’. All of this elements are very important for healthy eating and energy. Other chia seeds benefits are that it is naturally gluten-free and is a great food especially for people that following a gluten-free diet.
Commonly, Chia is mixed with water and made into a gel. Seeds of chia absorbing up to 12 times their weight. They absorb water, milk and fats. So, you can add chia to anything, even in oatmeal, baked foods, rice dishes, cakes. Also Chia is used in sauces, cereal, yogurt, mixed into drinks, salads, soups, energy bars, breakfast cereals, and more.
About 2 tablespoons Chia have 139 calories.